Month: August 2017

08-2017-Sewing-Fashion-Corduroy-Overalls-Dress-Featured-Image

Corduroy Overalls Dress

I started wearing overalls a long time ago. I mean, when I was a baby my parents used to dress me up in overalls and a matching denim bucket hat! This year I finally fit my mom’s denim painter’s overalls from the 90’s and I love them. I wanted to try making overalls myself, but as a dress using corduroy. While searching for fabric in New York, I couldn’t find any corduroy even at Mood! When I came back to the bay, I went to my usual, Discount Fabrics. They only had 2 colors of corduroy but I really liked this grey-ish/purple-ish corduroy. Process: I used burda young 6538 for my pattern. Before starting I decided that I was going to put actual overalls buckles. (I got mine from Botani Trimmings in New York). I made some adjustments to the pattern. I made the silhouette more boxy instead of bell-shaped. I changed the straps so they were longer and less thick by finishing the edges by folding 1/4″ inwards. I also put the pockets on the …

07-2017-Sewing-Fashion-Chinese-Silk-Pants-Featured-Imag

Satin Brocade Pants

At West Coast Craft I saw a pair of silk floral-pattered pants–it was pretty expensive. But it gave me inspiration to make my own version of the pants but with satin brocade. When I was in New York I began searching for the fabric at Fulton Fabrics (great place for cheap fabrics) in Brooklyn, but the version they had was too thick, for upholstery. And at Mood Fabrics, I just couldn’t find any! But when we got to Soho/Chinatown we came across Pear River Mart and they had a bunch of Asian-style fabrics. The yellow satin brocade curtains hanging on their wall caught my eye. I found the roll and it was $14 a yard, which wasn’t too bad since I only needed 2 yards. They had other nice patterns and colors, but they some were hella expensive or wouldn’t look good as pants.   Process: I used Burda Style 7058 for the pattern, but I used an invisible zipper instead of a regular pant zipper so it would be cleaner. My last experience with making satin pants didn’t turn out as …

07-2017-Sewing-Fashion-Color-Blocked-Windbreaker-Pool-Edit-Featured-Image

Color Blocked Windbreaker

At the beginning of summer I was sketching in my fashionary notebook. One thing I drew was this jacket with primary colors. I really wanted to bring this to life somehow as a windbreaker. So I ordered a vintage pattern (McCall’s 4902) on Etsy that was close to the look of my jacket. And while I was in New York, I explored the garment district and bought some blue and yellow ripstop nylon at Mood Fabrics and even made a custom zipper at Botani Trimmings, where they matched the yellow fabric. I was stunned! Once I got back home, I was so excited and got right to work on the jacket. Process: Since the pattern wasn’t exactly a match with my sketch, I had to make some adjustments. For the stripe along the sleeve, I made them 1″ thick with a 5/8″ seam allowance on both halves of the sleeve so that the addition of the stripe wouldn’t make the sleeve bigger. It actually turned out great, which was good… because there was no going back once I split the sleeve in …